One-Dish Chicken and Barley Meal
Recipe provided by Strive for Wellness®
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 Roma tomatoes
3 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped (about 2 teaspoons)
1 cup unsalted chicken broth
½ cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup barley, cooked
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and move the rack to the lower half of the oven.
- Trim the fat off the chicken breasts and season them with black pepper.
- Drizzle olive oil at the bottom of a 9x13 glass pan. Brush the oil so that it covers the bottom of the pan evenly. Place the chicken breasts in the pan, being careful not to overlap them.
- Put the dish in the oven and set a timer for 5 minutes. While the chicken cooks, chop a zucchini and 2 tomatoes into 1 inch pieces.
- When the chicken is ready, use tongs to turn the chicken breasts over, and add the rest of the ingredients to the dish: garlic, diced onion, unsalted chicken broth, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, lemon juice, zucchini and tomatoes. Let cook for 50 minutes, or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Add barley in the last 5 minutes of cooking. Remove from oven, and serve.
Amount per serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 9g14%
Saturated Fat 1.5g8%
Dietary Fiber 3g12%