Chicken Enchilada-Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Recipe modified by Strive for Wellness®
Servings: 4 (Size: ½ stuffed squash half)
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
2½-3 pound spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
1¼ cups red enchilada sauce, divided
1 medium zucchini, diced
1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon salt
- Position racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 450 degrees.
- Place chicken in a medium saucepan, add water to cover and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and gently simmer until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165 degrees, approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board and shred with two forks. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, place squash cut-side down in a microwave-safe dish and add 2 tablespoons water. Microwave, uncovered, on High until the flesh is tender, about 10 minutes. (Alternatively, place squash halves cut-side down on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake in a 400 degrees oven until the squash is tender, about 40-50 minutes.)
- Use a fork to scrape the squash from the shells into the large bowl. Place the shells on a broiler-safe pan. Add 1 cup enchilada sauce, zucchini, pepper and salt into the bowl with the squash and chicken. Stir to combine. Divide the mixture between the shells; top with the remaining ¼ cup enchilada sauce and cheese.
- Bake on the lower rack for 10 minutes. Move to the upper rack, turn the broiler to high and, watching carefully, broil until the cheese starts to brown, about 2 minutes. To serve, cut each shell in half.
Serving size ½ stuffed squash half
Amount per serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 22g34%
Saturated Fat 11g55%
Total Carbohydrate 20g7%